Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Pioneer Woman Scalloped ham and potatoes- made skinnier

I just adore Ree. Besides the fact that we share the same last name, both homeschool, both have 4 kids, both are active at church, both drive Fords....it creeps me out how much it goes on....I love her show and her recipes. She lives on a working ranch and can therefore serve more decadent dishes without fear. Her family works hard outdoors all day. I, however, live in Alaska and my crew spends the majority of the day inside. We simply can't afford the calories. Her versions are awesome, but we have to make slightly less decadent versions here. If I knew how to get in touch with her, I would ask her to do a cookbook where she has decadent and lovely dishes and I did a less decadent but "lighter" version.

So, that being said, her most recent tv show sparked a bug. I wanted to make her scalloped potatoes with ham, but the calories blew me out of the water. While delicious, undeniably, we just can't eat that way.

I used her recipe as a guide. Here are my changes:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 onion, diced (I used dried chopped onions cuz cutting an onion 1 handed is dangerous)
Salt and pepper
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups milk
5 russet potatoes, sliced on the mandolin
12oz Candian bacon, sliced and chunked
2 cups skim mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a baking dish well with Pam (sub for butter). Make a sauce by sautéing the chopped onion in evoo. Add in flour. Cook for about 5 min. Slowly wisk in the chicken broth, 1/4 cup at a time. Slowly wisk the milk in 1/4 cup at a time. While still cooking, add in salt and pepper to taste. Begin the layering process. Start with half the potatoes, layer on half the "ham", and 1 cup shredded cheese. Build a second layer. Pour all of the sauce over. Bake covered for about 40 min, uncovered for another 20 or so.
 Serves 6-8

2 comments: